Got my pay today… yup, getting salary early this month due to the variable bonus. As usual, promotion is given for some. And just for my own dept, there are already 3 who are promoted this round. 3 different persons with totally working attitudes, personalities, capabilities etc… It’s obvious whether they really deserve the promotion. There’s many different ways to climb up the career ladder and being in the working society for some time, it’s not difficult to differentiate who’s using which way. I’m not agreeable to some taking shortcuts like setting others up, getting others into troubles, snatching for credits, curry-flavouring, etc but it’s not up to me to control or judge. Some might argued that these are some of the ways that will assist one to climb the ladder up higher. And, yes, I’ve seen examples of that. But I guess it all boils down to individuals thinking, attitude, and one’s conscience.
Anyway, there’s NO bonus, NO increment but increase in workload for me. Am being calculative? Perhaps… It’s never fair… I seriously need to seek ways to improve my productivity, to do more with less and to work smarter and not simply harder. Wonder if I could achieve that… With the way that stuffs are being done here, it’s really seems tough. Information technology can help give us a competitive edge and improve efficiency but only if know how and used correctly. Working harder doesn’t equate better returns or results. I’ve been working harder and harder and what do I get? More work, more OT, which ended up getting exhausted, work get piled up, being chased after for cases to be expedited, after failing to meet the expectations made, ended up being demoralized and not performing well in your job, I want to be more efficient. It is about finding smarter ways to do things without being overloaded with work. This is where productivity will really improve, the ability to actually work less but accomplish more. Not to mention that we will get more leisure and recreational time. A balance is always necessary. Cant possibility all work and no play… But… How to get to the key to efficiency???